As a result of the Cummings case, over 13,500 license suspensions have been lifted by the FLDHSMV. The search function on this site will tell you if your license was one of those affected. Please note, to get your license back, you will need to resolve all suspensions or financial obligations affecting your license. This site does not provide information on all suspensions, only those resulting from failure to pay court costs resulting from municipal ordinance violations. To view your entire driving record, contact the FLDHSMV.

There are still five counties (Escambia, Lake, Manatee, Santa Rosa, and Sarasota) in Florida that continue to suspend driver’s licenses for nonpayment of court costs and fees. If you believe your license was suspended for nonpayment of court costs and fees on a municipal or county ordinance and your case doesn’t show up when you search your name, it might mean that the county clerk where you case was heard has not lifted these license suspensions. You can see how many license suspensions on ordinance violations cases your county has lifted here.

If you do not know the status of your driver’s license and want to learn the reason for the suspension, you can check it online on the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website at Once at the website, you will be required to enter your driver’s license number or state ID number (they are the same). After you enter your number, the screen that follows will tell you if your license is “valid” or not. If you do not know your driver’s license number, you can call 850-617-3000 and use your social security number when asked. After speaking your social security number, the automated machine will tell you if your license is valid.

Parents who are looking for information for their minor children can use this method as well but will be required to enter the last 4 digits of the child’s social security number, in addition to the child’s driver’s license number.

Most likely yes. Generally, there is going to be a cost associated with reinstating your suspended license. The clerk will impose a $7 fee.The FLDHSMV’s standard starting fee for a standard suspension  is $45 or $60 per case, depending on how your suspension was classified. Depending on the circumstances of your suspension, there could also be other costs associated with reinstating your license. To see a list of fees associated with Florida driver’s licenses visit

However, the DHSMV automatically removed the 13,500 license suspensions lifted as a result of the Cummings case. If your license suspension was one of these, you do not have to pay a reinstatement fee for that suspension.

There are no payment options available for fees owed to the FLDHSMV. If you need to pay reinstatement costs, or any other fees to the Tax Collector/FLDHSMV, those costs must be paid in full.

If, however, you owe court costs, and you cannot afford those costs, you can request a payment plan. To do so, contact the Clerk of the Court in the county where you owe costs. There is typically a fee of $25 per case to set up a payment plan; payments should be capped at 2% of your income or $25 (whichever is greater). You may also need to pay a 10% down payment of $100 (whichever is less).

Alternatively, you can ask the court to convert your costs to community service. One hour of community service equals minimum wage (so, if minimum wage is $10 and you owe $90 in court costs, you can do 9 hours of community service, instead. Once minimum wage reaches $15, you will have to do 6 hours of community service to work off $90 in court costs). 

There are many reasons why a Florida driver could have their license suspended. Some common reasons are failure to pay child support, failure to appear in court, failure to pay a ticket, failure to have automobile insurance, and convictions in certain criminal cases.

If the only suspension on your record was lifted as a result of the Cummings case, you do not need to appear in court to reinstate your license. The suspension was automatically lifted. 

If you have other unpaid court costs or open cases that can affect your license, you can usually make arrangements to pay off these costs or enter into a payment plan at the office for the Clerk of Court. If, however, you are asking to convert your costs to community service, you may need to appear in court.